You can ask a businessman or someone who is involved in the digital world, what is the most important way to bring conversions and they all will tell you that it all depends on the design of your website. You can try any conversion-boosting tactic and it’ll still be useless if your website lacks an attractive look.
First, we must clear this misconception that design is something that only a designer can handle. Website design incorporates marketing too and the way you make your products look on it. Thus, it is necessary to know the modern principles of web designing in order to achieve the respective business goals and more profits.
Let’s start at…
01. Explore the Visual Hierarchy- The way squeaky wheels get the grease, a noticeable visual would get all the attention of the viewers. You might not be aware of the fact, but visual hierarchy is the first and foremost thing in web design. As you know that some specific regions of a site are more important than the others, like a call to action, forms, value proposition. So, set your visual hierarchy in a manner that the visitor focuses on the essential elements first.
02. Focus More on Your Business Goals– When it’s about ranking the products on your business site then you must keep the objective of your business on priority. Although you gain attention with the visuals first, you can’t display everything important in the form of pictures and some text might be equally significant. So, the key information must be highlighted or just showcased in a way that the visitor automatically looks at it.
03. Consider the Hick’s Law- According to the Hick’s Law, each added choice means visitor will take more time to decide. For example, at a restaurant when we look at the menu and so many options, we just couldn’t decide instantly what we want and take longer. So, it’s necessary to eliminate choices wherever possible and make it easier for the user to make a decision.
04. Divine Proportions– Like an artist, the designers should also take into consideration the Golden Ratio while designing any website. If we consider an example, then the layout of side is 960px wide; you need to divide it by 1.618 (magical number φ used in the Golden Ration formula) that’ll give you 593px. This implies that the area covered by the content should be approximately 593px and the sidebar must have a width of 367px.
05. Don’t Forget the Fitt’s Law– This law instructs that the total time needed to reach a targeted area is actually a function of the total distance to the target and its size. In simple terms, we can say that the closer and bigger the targeted area is, it’ll be easier for the visitor to use it. You must have seen the big size of the play button in any music app, which is usually bigger in size than the other elements.
06. Gestalt Design Laws– It’s a psychology theory related to the way a viewer perceives an image. According to this principle, the human eye is capable of first seeing an image or object as whole and then focus on the individual elements. The user will also first see the whole website and then later on focus on menu, header, footer and so on.
07. Neat Design and White Space– Some space is always empty on a website, it is called white space or negative space. For example, the space between margins, graphics, columns, etc. You should not think of it as a blank space, as it basically allows the designer to utilize the hierarchy for typography, information, images and color in a better way. If a page doesn’t have any white space, then it will look messy and full of clutter.